Monday, July 26, 2010

Things To Do If You Can't Write

Kinda been up against it on the novel front.  I know what I want to write, but consistency issues keep cropping up.  Who knows what and when they learned it is a challenge to track.  A challenge I haven't been all that up to.

So I played some computer games.  One of which is APB. 



After a weekend of entertaining play I discovered a happy fact: I suck hairy ass at it.  My mouse hand has no precision when trying to quickly blast opponents, and many of the players are the kind of dicks that use the anonymity of the internet to harangue players who suck, rather than trying to help improve their play. And this from my team-mates.

In short, I got frustrated, and the entertainment that I took up to keep me from dwelling on my novel pain grew to such a vastly greater pain that I welcomed a return to something I could control, my writing.

In short, if you are having a hard time with something you're fairly good at, do something you suck at for a while.  It's a real motivator to get back to familiar ground, even if it's painful too.

2 comments:

  1. This is why I like studying at Uni - writing feels like a break from studying and studying feels like a break from writing. Which is also possibly why, now it's the summer holidays, I've decided to learn German. I can only do something if there's something else I'm meant to be doing!

    Good luck with the writing. Hope you get a handle on the consistency problem (my normal method is to carry on regardless, with the hope that I'll fix it in the edit!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I made headway today. We shall see. Thanks for the support.

    ReplyDelete