Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Fifth Element & Heavy Metal

I have been a Heavy Metal fan since I was about twelve. I am not referring to the music, though I am a fan of most metal. I instead refer to the magazine loaded with the offerings of artists like Moebius and Serpieri. The magazines come out quarterly, and are full of fantastic, beautiful artwork. On occasion the stories also attempt different narrative forms and push the envelope.

Some might remember the movie Heavy Metal, which came out in the 80s, and was a fantastic film with an amazing soundtrack and cast of voice-actors. Later, there was Fakk2, a less successful (and less worthy) offering.

Why do I bring this up?

Because The Fifth Element, one of the most successful science fiction movies ever produced, is on just now, and the art direction is entirely inspired by and rendered by the artists that graced the pages of Heavy Metal.

If you have not seen the film, do so. If you have not read the magazine, give it a look. Both are worth watching.

4 comments:

  1. I think of Heavy Metal and all I see is the kid turned muscular man with his bald head nestled between boobs.
    Yes, I have a selective memory :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Hanover Fiste, but appreciate your recall of "Den of Earth"

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Fifth Element, a truly fantastic film and, in my humble opinion, one of the greatest films of all time. Non-stop action combined with a smooth comic undertow. "Where did you learn to negotiate like that?"

    Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interestingly, on IMDB, there is mention of a 2012 film with the title of Heavy Metal... hmmm.....

    ReplyDelete