Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Bad SF can still be entertaining...

I just finished watching Banlieue 13: Ultimatum on HDNet Movies.

Overall: Not bad. Not good, but not bad either. The first movie was better. Much better, and it wasn't outstanding. I am glad I didn't spend money on it.


What I liked:

I love Parcour, and they do some outrageous things in this film. Most of which you see in the trailers.

There is one hilarious scene where Damien tries to drug a hopped up dealer, who laughs at his attempts, he's so strung out. "I haven't slept in three years, you'll have to do better than that."


What I didn't like:

The cops getting beaten up.

The plot was predictable and lacking in reason.

The translation sucked ass, but then most subtitle translations are weak. They didn't get the numbers right, and for some reason translated buffoon as doofus. Clown would have been better, or perhaps sticking with the original, which is rarely used in English today, but better than doofus, at least to my ears. I wish I could turn the subtitles off sometimes, I really do.

There was a glaring absence of reasoning behind why five gang leaders would ever come to work together after a mere 'request' by the (admittedly hot) asian gang leader, Tao.

Then they all work seamlessly together to overcome, under the command of a cop? What had the writer been smoking?

No comments:

Post a Comment